Wednesday 29 June 2011

Connections...

My Mom and I had a unique way of communicating. Sometimes it was with just a look or glance, other times it was through a language we shared and understood. She might say something to me like, "Cath, go fetch me the whose-its beside the dooferdinkus on the whatchamacallit." and I knew exactly what she was talking about. We had a connection. We liked the same things. Mom and I had many likes in common, such as; seeing the first buds of Spring; smelling honeysuckle and Russian Olives in bloom; letting the sun warm our bones; reading a good book; sharing a belly laugh; making a difference. 

Mom made a difference in whatever she did. She put her heart into everything from gardening to making dinner. When I was a kid and dinner was ready she would open the kitchen window and holler, "Kooey-yooey-yoo-hooooo!" and I'd come running. She didn't call my name for hours to no avail. The din of "Kooey-yooey-yoo-hooooo" rang for blocks. It was my dinner bell. 

The Contraception Bell
I have a bell. It's a replica of a school bell. I call it "The Contraception Bell". That's because I live on a greenbelt where lazy summer days beckon young teens to nestle in a cool place on the grass for a little afternoon delight. Sometimes right outside my yard! When this occurs I put "The Contraception Bell" to use by opening my patio door and giving it a good workout. "CLANG-CLANG, CLANG-CLANG, CLANG-CLANG." This usually makes them stop for a brief moment before returning to their nubile ways. "CLANG-CLANG, CLANG-CLANG, CLANG-CLANG", I sound the bell again. Now they sit up, looking for the source of the clatter. When none is evident they return to their business. Undeterred, I ring the bell again, "CLANG-CLANG, CLANG-CLANG, CLANG-CLANG". This time they get up, refasten themselves, brush grass off their clothes, straighten their hair and wander off hand in hand. The third time is the charm. I have made a difference and momentarily thwarted the possibility of an unwanted teen pregnancy. We've made a connection and they understand the unspoken language of the bell. 

Contraception is not the only language the bell speaks. I've recently discovered that it is also adept at calling Emma when her Dad is at the door to pick her up and she's playing at a neighbor's house. With the familiar "CLANG-CLANG, CLANG-CLANG, CLANG-CLANG" she sprints home on winged feet. This is my version of Mom's "Kooey-yooey-yoo-hooooo". It's a very useful bell. 

I won't have much need for it anymore. We've sold our home and are moving to a new community  where there's no greenbelt temptation and Emma will be going elsewhere after school next year. I will miss her. We have a connection. We made a difference to each other. Endings bring new beginnings, so the bell will gather dust and lose its lustre; unless... I give it to a little girl with wings on her feet. 

I think Mom would be pleased - and the rest is pixie dust...

No comments:

Post a Comment