Monday 2 May 2011

Sage Advice...

I received a letter from Grace, the daughter of one of my Mom's girlhood friends last week. She had attended my Mom's service and said how much she appreciated the personal touches we shared in the eulogy and tributes. She went on to say that she remembered my Mom giving her some advice when she was a young woman. First, she offered some housekeeping shortcuts and second, she told her what laxative to use in pregnancy. Grace said she never used the housekeeping shortcuts but the laxative sure came in handy! Mom also told her that everyone should go to Disneyland at least once even if they have to borrow the money. 

Mom went to Disneyland in the Spring of 1975 when I was just sixteen. I wasn't living at home. I had eloped the previous September and was in the process of moving from Calgary back to Medicine Hat. She would've just turned fifty-four, only a year older than I am now. She took one of those motorcoach excursions with a dear old friend. I think she was gone three weeks, which must've flown by for her, but for those at home it seemed like forever. Mom did so much for all of us, so much that we all took for granted until she removed herself from the equation of our lives. My sister and her little boy, Chris, then just three years old, were living with Mom and Dad. She wrote her concerns over Mom's traveling in a verse called, "With Love to Granny";

Granny has gone so far away, I hope she's having fun today.
All of us at home in the Hat, can't help but wonder where she's at
Disneyland or Palm Springs, Who knows what she's seen.

I hope when she comes home to us, she won't be making a lot of fuss
To travel again. Although we may not tell her when she's near
Life is pretty difficult without her here. 
We love her and we need her far more than I can say.
So Granny when you come home to us, please make it home to stay. 

This house is not the greatest, it's cold and old and wet.
And why you've called it "Home" so long is a mystery to me yet.
And so I sit and worry, all these long days through.
That you might not be missing us, as much as we miss you. 

Mom must have had the time of her life in Vegas, Palm Springs, and Disneyland. But I was too wrapped up in my own life to listen to her traveling tales. How selfish and self-absorbed I was! What would it have taken to sit down and hear her impressions of what she saw and how much fun she had? I wasn't able to give her that much when she gave me all she had and then some. But Mom didn't let that phase her. She came home and got right back into the routine of our lives without missing a beat. As though Disneyland didn't exist.

I admit, I was surprised by the Disneyland advice Mom shared with Grace. She never said as much to me. But then again, why would she? 

As your child I'm not the greatest, I'm self-absorbed as I can get.
And why you've called me wonderful is a mystery to me yet.
And so I'll sit and ponder the rest of my days through
Whether you are missing me, as much as I miss you.

Putting one foot in front of the other... and still standing.  

The rest is pixie dust...

No comments:

Post a Comment